The International LGBTQ+ Travel Association’s signature event attracted its largest and most globally diverse delegation in its 36-year history
Media Contact: LoAnn Halden
+1 954.630.1637 x 714
NEW YORK CITY (30 April 2019)—Nearly 700 delegates representing 49 countries and territories gathered at the New York Hilton Midtown 24-27 April for IGLTA’s most successful convention to date. The International LGBTQ+ Travel Association’s premier event united global thought leaders to discuss tourism trends, technology developments, workplace inclusion and human rights—wide-ranging topics connected through the lens of LGBTQ+ travel.
“We could not be more proud of our first New York City convention, from content to collaboration,” said IGLTA President/CEO John Tanzella. “Thanks in large part to the support of our host, NYC & Company, we were able to engage far more tourism businesses than ever before and showcase the world of LGBTQ+ travel in all its diversity.”
- IGLTA’s Buyer/Supplier Marketplace, presented in partnership with the American Society of Travel Advisors (ASTA), sold out in record time, attracting buyers that sell approximately $100M in LGBTQ+ travel annually.
- The IGLTA Foundation Leadership Think Tank, presented with support from Google and Miles Partnership, united 24 top executives from global CVBs/DMOs for an open dialogue about responsible tourism and LGBTQ+ travel.
- Opening Day: Roger Dow, President/CEO of the US Travel Association, discussed the importance of the LGBTQ+ travel community; Hong Kong’s Kenneth Kwok, founder of Global Citizen Capital, provided insights on Asia’s LGBTQ+ market; and Mara Keisling, Founder/Executive Director of the National Center for Transgender Equality, addressed the needs of transgender travelers.
- Day 2: Dougal Mckenzie, Industry Head, Travel, Google and Ophelia Pastrana, a transgender Colombian economist and tech expert based in Mexico, shared their viewpoints on the digital world. Also on the main stage: a Travel & Tourism Leadership Panel discussion on workplace equality with Delta Air Lines, Hilton, and The Travel Corporation.
- Day 3: Kimahli Powell, Executive Director of Rainbow Railroad, closed the conference with the talk “Our Role in Helping Persecuted LGBTQ+ People Globally,” which included a Skype interview with Malaysian transgender rights activist Nisha Ayub, founder of the community-run SEED Foundation.
- Playwright Terrence McNally and his husband, theater producer Tom Kirdahy, received the IGLTA Foundation Humanitarian Award at Voyage, the IGLTAF Benefit, on 26 April, just one day after it was announced that McNally will receive a 2019 Tony Award for Lifetime Achievement.
- Each evening event had special surprise performances: Lady Bunny as DJ and stars from Broadway's Be More Chill, Mean Girls and Wicked at the NYC & Company opening night, Magic Hour Rooftop Bar and Lounge, Moxy Times Square; performance artist Amanda Lepore at Voyage, the IGLTAF Benefit; and opera at the Italy-hosted closing night at 10 Corso Como.
- The IGLTA Foundation supported convention scholarships for small businesses owners from Zimbabwe, Japan, and (in honor of Stonewall’s 50th Anniversary) New York City. IGLTAF also brought in a hospitality student from Nepal in partnership with the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA), and local students from NYU’s Jonathan M. Tisch Center for Hospitality.
- IGLTA shared a rainbow cake with delegates to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Hilton, a global partner of the association since 2010.
For high-res images, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Videos of convention content and photo albums are available on the IGLTABusiness Facebook page.
IGLTA’s 37th Annual Global Convention is set for 6-9 May 2020 in Milan, Italy.
The 36th Annual IGLTA Global Convention would not have been possible without the generous support of our convention sponsors. Presenting Level – NYC & Company, Delta Air Lines, Disney Destinations©; Italian National Tourist Board; Official Level – AIG Travel, Inc., Airbnb, Brand USA, Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention & Visitors Bureau, Guam Visitors Bureau, Hilton, Israel Ministry of Tourism, Italian National Tourist Board, Malta Tourism Authority, PayPal Credit, Visit Philadelphia®; Conference Level – Inprotur Argentina, Brazilian Tourism Board, Visit Britain, VisitDallas, International Experience Canada/Government of Canada, Miles Partnership, ProColombia, Q.Digital, Visit St. Pete/Clearwater, Tourism Toronto, Visit West Hollywood.
About IGLTA and the IGLTA Foundation: The International LGBTQ+ Travel Association is the global leader in advancing LGBTQ+ travel and a proud Affiliate Member of the United Nations World Tourism Organization. IGLTA’s mission is to provide information and resources for LGBTQ+ travelers and expand LGBTQ+ tourism globally by demonstrating its significant social and economic impact. IGLTA membership includes LGBTQ+ welcoming accommodations, destinations, service providers, travel agents, tour operators, events and travel media in more than 80 countries. In 2012, the philanthropic IGLTA Foundation was launched to support the mission of the association and its membership through education, research and leadership development. For more information: iglta.org, igltaconvention.org or iglta.org/foundation and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @iglta or @IGLTABusiness and @IGLTAFoundation on Facebook.